Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Vocabulary #5

acumen (noun)- keen insight.
-When I need advice, I always go to my mother for her acumen.
adjudicate (verb)- to settle or determine.
-The dispute was adjudicated when they sat down down and talked.
anachronism (noun)- something or someone that is not in its correct historical time.
-When I saw Abraham Lincoln talking on the phone, I knew Mr. Lincoln was an anachronism
apocryphal (adj)- of doubtful authorship or authenticity. 
-When a D student turned in an A paper the teacher thought the paper was apocryphal.
disparity (noun)- inequality
-There will always be disparity of wealth within this society.
dissimulate (verb)- to disguise or conceal under a false appearance.
-The masquerader allowed everyone to dissimulate themselves.  
empirical (adj)- derived from or guided by experience or experiment
flamboyant (adj)- strikingly bold; showy
-The Mardigra  parade was very flamboyant. 
fulsome (adj)- offensive to good taste, especially as being excessive;overdone or gross
-My brother is very fulsome when he farts next to me. 
immolate (verb)- to sacrifice
-He immolated the dove to his god.
imperceptible (adj)- very slight, gradual, or subtle.
-I missed the imperceptible hint from my friend that the girl I was gossiping about was right behind me.
lackey (noun)- a servile follower
-Robin is Batman's lackey. 
liaison (noun)- a person who initiates and maintains such a contact or connection. 
-He was England's liaison to the United States.
monolithic (adj)- consisting of one piece; solid or unbroken
-Sometimes kids with their phones are monolithic.
mot juste (noun)- the exact, appropriate word 
-It it is all about time, place,  and mot juste
nihilism (noun)- total rejection of established laws and institutions.
-His nihilism for the law ended him up in jail. 
patrician (noun)- a person of noble or high rank; aristocrat. 
-Jean Valjean began his life poor but turned himself into a patrician.
propitiate (verb)- to make favorably inclined; appease; conciliate.
sic (verb)-to incite to attack 
sublimate(adj)-to make nobler or purer
-When he let God into his life, it became sublimate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment